24 January 2008

SOLUTION: Hey, is this your picture?? MSN Virus

After an evening of fighting I think I have finally beaten this MSN virus! I ran Adaware, SpyBot, Windows Defender and Trend Micro Office Scan, but they all left some trace of the virus behind.

I noticed that the sneaky code modified my host file and pointed all anti-virus websites to local host as well as making the host file read-only. You can fix this by going to %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\ and right clicking on hosts file and unchecking the read only checkbox.

You can then open the file in something like wordpad and delete all the entries that show up near the bottom. Mine had a huge list.

Once you have doe this the instructions to get rid of the virus can be found on this helpfull blog:
http://2j07--jamboree.blogspot.com/
Look at the entry " Wednesday, January 23, 2008"

Hope this helps you out!

No comments: