23 November 2009

SPAM fighting with RBL’s

Our companies email server had been taking a bit of strain from SPAM recently and it seemed as though thousands of spam mails where getting through to my end users.

Scanmail for Exchange was picking up about 57000 SPAM mails a month, but I would still get about 200 spam mails a day in my own inbox!

I did some research and eventually found RBL (Real Time Blacklists). A RBL is a list of known spam email servers IP addresses. There are several RBL providers out there and it is very simple and in most cases free to setup.

Check out the following link to get your Exchange 2003 server setup with a RBL:

I am currently using the the following RBL’s

image

Since implementing the RBL I have seen spam on my own inbox drop from 200 a day to about 2 a day. I also noted that since the beginning of the month the number of SPAM is down from 57000 detected to 6500! And I should see an even greater drop next month as I implemented the RBL on about the 10th of the month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for

your sharing, it's very useful